Wednesday, September 24, 2014

School days – my Chinese connections


I have been close to the Chinese ever since my school days – as I have mentioned earlier, my school was on Bowbazar Street and the road was lined with Chinese shoemakers. Hence, on the way to school I had to pass through the stench of raw hide as the craftsmen converted the raw leather into shoes.
Notwithstanding this experience, I had the pleasure of more Chinese company when a Chinese dry cleaning outlet set up shop in the building where I lived in Shyambazar. The name of the shop was Lee Wah and it was run by a man named Victor.
He had an assistant, a Muslim, who drove the three wheeler cycle van to take away the clothes that would come for dry-cleaning to a central location. On his return journey, he would bring back the clothes that had been dry cleaned – then the two of them would arrange the clothes on the hangers for delivery to the customers.
Suddenly, one day, he installed a pair of stuffed animals in the showcase – a mongoose and a snake engaged in a fight. Obviously, it drew the people and they would stop to stare and enjoy – of course, Lee Wah got talked about and that was good for business.
Of course, later, he replaced the stuffed figures with lively ones in the form of a huge aquarium. It became an instant hit.
Another Chinese connection was of cheap books on the footpath – the books came dirt cheap and I still remember the name of one. It was ‘Dadur Dastana’ which, when translated, means the Glove of Grandfather. The story was of a glove that could accommodate any number of living beings – anyone who wanted an entry had to just ask!! (to be continued…)
Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities through the eyes of a 70-year-old

No comments:

Post a Comment