Tuesday, May 26, 2015

ICU beckons me for a second time


My first visit to the ICU was for a duration of a fortnight. I was kept under 24-hours observation by the monitors installed in the cabin, my physical movements were restricted, my taste buds went haywire with new concoctions dreamt up by my wife to ensure that I got used to a diet of minimum cholesterol, fats and all the ingredients that do not make for a happy meal. It was a real mental and physical torture not just for me but for my wife and son as well because, in a family of three, one cannot continue to have two different sets of menus at all times. I had to accept it all with a smiling face but, internally, I was determined to find a way out.
Anyway, Man proposes and God disposes and the same happened to me.
It was a month after I was released from hospital. I was gradually returning to normal when it happened again. I had done some marketing of vegetables and fruits and met my doctor there. He enquired about my health and I gave him the thumbs up. Both of us were happy and, after returning home, as I sat down with a cup of tea, I suddenly felt uncomfortable. I was experiencing breathing problems.
My son was not at home so my wife ran to our neighbor and he immediately took me in his car to the hospital and it was a repeat performance of the earlier instance. Knowing my past medical history, the duty doctor admitted me immediately and that was that.
I once again cursed my luck and resigned to my fate. I had stopped smoking, I had moved away from mutton because red meat is loaded with cholesterol, similarly, eggs were banned from my diet. I tried to argue with my wife and convince that the message of ‘Sunday ho ya Monday, roj khao andey’ means that eggs are safe. But, she was not convinced. (to be continued…)

(Image courtesy wikimediacommmons.org)

A few more must reads -

Nashik Kumbhmela 2015 – a once in 12-years pilgrimage

Trip to Nashik should take in Shirdi and the Ajanta and Ellora caves

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the epic Ramayana

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the Mahabharata

Kumbhmela 2015 in Nashik – guided tours to wineries and vineyards

Nashik transforms from a place of pilgrimage to an industrial hub


Activists on kayaks protest against drilling for oil in Alaska

Disenchanted with rosy promises of a life with the ISIS, three British girls escape

Over 600 stranded migrants from Bangladesh and Myanmar rescued by local fishermen

British spy chiefs recruiting computer geeks for £27,913 to help fight terrorists, criminal gangs and hackers

Ancient 2000-year-old city of Palmyra in Syria targeted for destruction by ISIS

I become a detective to trace a missing consignment

No comments:

Post a Comment