Friday, May 1, 2015

A new life with old fashioned floppy drives


A new life began for me in my new department. The task assigned to me was similar to separating the individual strands of thread from a mess of crumpled threads. It was difficult but not impossible, only, it required a lot of patience and I had loads of it. My new bosses had faith in my abilities and I just could not let them down.
I had to make a beginning and for that, I got the Russian contracts segregated based on the originating dates. That was my starting int. Some of the contracts were for a few items, others ran into hundreds and, even thousands. My task was to organize the mess into something that would be understandable.
Therefore, I decided to put the data into a database and, for that, I had to go in for codification. Obviously, I needed a computer and, when I asked my boss, he readily gave me one – only, it was floppy driven. I had to insert a floppy to boot the system, then insert the second floppy for the data entry and updation.
I would arrive at my office early in the morning and remain till late in the evening generating new codes. The team of people at my disposal also had to be kept busy – I would send them to different sections in the stores to gather data from physical check of items. And, would integrate that information into my database.
Suddenly, one morning, my boss called me to his office.
He showed me a report that he used to send every month to the Corporate Office in Bangalore – it was a monthly report on the status of supplies from Russia. He asked me to confirm if the figures indicated were correct or needed to be revised.
I told him frankly that I was not yet ready to confirm the accuracy of the figures.
He wanted me to commit a timeframe by when I would be able to do so and I made the commitment. He agreed and when next he called me, I submitted the figures as per my data. There were some discrepancies but, he accepted my figures and that became one of my important activities every first of the month.
I had gained his confidence and, that mattered. (to be continued …)

A few more must reads -

Nashik Kumbhmela 2015 – a once in 12-years pilgrimage

Trip to Nashik should take in Shirdi and the Ajanta and Ellora caves

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the epic Ramayana

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the Mahabharata

Kumbhmela 2015 in Nashik – guided tours to wineries and vineyards

Nashik transforms from a place of pilgrimage to an industrial hub

EU realizes the curse of plastic carry bags – to banish the bags

100 cities in India would turn into Smart Cities

Pet Pomeranians of Surat married off, 500 wedding guests enjoy the feast

Woman kills her husband because of his dark complexion

Baltimore on fire as protest over death of a black youth in police custody spirals out of control

‘Papri’ and ‘Barood’ - collection of Bengali short stories published from Nashik

British Army wants computer whizzkids to counter the growing menace of ISIS propaganda


Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist

Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

No comments:

Post a Comment