Saturday, March 7, 2015

A weekend at Bachelor Mess listening to Rabindra Sangeet


After seeing my name in Bengali print for the first time, it was but natural that I pursue this further to improve not just my standard of writing but also to gain acceptance as one who can express his thoughts in his mother tongue.
In the course of my regular duties, I would write – my mind was full of ideas and, coupled with the varied experiences that I was acquiring, I discovered that I could write a couple of pages and end up with a story of sorts.
I would then take it to two of my critics – they worked in different sections and were always ready to give it a look over and suggest changes. Some of the changes I would accept, some I would ignore. Yes, there would be arguments and counter arguments and it was fun. All the three of us were bachelors and that added to the fun.
I remember that one Saturday they asked me to stay over for the weekend in the Bachelor Mess. This was a building that had been built by HAL Nashik near to the factory and was meant to accommodate the male bachelors who had honed service.
Well – it was indeed a memorable weekend. One of the residents had a wonderful voice. He was a Russian language interpreter. After dinner he invited us to a session of songs. Therefore, I and other Bengalis trooped after him to the roof where he sang Rabindra Sangeet (songs of Tagore) – his stock of songs was fantastic and time literally flew.
Anyway, I did my writings in the factory and got them written properly on one side of foolscap paper once I returned to McKenzie Bungalow. Later, I set hem by post to the magazine. I had stated with one magazine and later got a second one added. Both were just names to me as I was to them –and, I decided that next time I visited Kolkata I would drop in on them and surprise them. (to be continued …)

Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist

No comments:

Post a Comment