Tuesday, March 10, 2015

I discover the power of my pen


The work in HAL Nashik depended on the availability of materials that used to be imported from Russia and, usually, the work load would be high in the period September to March. Once March ended, the work force would not have enough work load and would idle.
This was the state of affairs in the section where I worked. But, in some other sections there was an excess of workload. Therefore the management would transfer some people on a temporary basis to work centers where there was sufficient workload.
I seized this opportunity and volunteered my services and was transferred to the sheet metal section. It suited me fine because my actual work was in assembly section where sheet metal components were used. The experience that I gained was useful at a later stage.
Anyway, this piece is not about my work but of how I helped out an individual with the power of my pen and my knack of writing.
He was a technician in the sheet metal section and, one day, he came to me with a request. He was from Uttar Pradesh and he wanted a transfer to HAL Lucknow division which was located in his home state.
Such transfers are rare and I explained as much to the young man. But, he pleaded. He said that he had all necessary contacts in the right places and a suitably worded application would do the trick.
He brought a sheet of paper with him and I asked him questions to get a sort of background. Questions that were designed to find out what sort of reason would be most appropriate to put forth in the application to justify a case of transfer on compassionate grounds.
Once the application was drafted, he got it typed out and sent it to the authorities. I treated it as a case of an eccentric person and was surprised when he came back to me within a week. He was all smiles and showed me the official orders for his transfer from HAL Nashik to HAL Lucknow.
I suddenly realized the power of my pen. (to be continued…)

Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist

Links to some more interesting stories –


My Boss wanted me to become a detective

My job interview over a cup of coffee

Train travel to and from Kanpur to Kolkata

I gamble away my month’s earnings before Diwali

I finally join the MiG factory in HAL Nashik

No comments:

Post a Comment