Monday, March 9, 2015

How I got inspiration for my stories


I have this wonderful gift of being able to write – the subject is of no consequence, I could write on any subject under the sun. It is something that I had acquired from my schooldays. My first name in print was in English when I was a 14-year-old boy and in school. My second writing to get published was also in English. I had received monetary compensation for both. The amount was six rupees for the first story and twenty five rupees for the second one.
Moreover, when in school and I had to write essays, I would select topics that others would hardly ever choose. I especially remember two topics. One was ‘Keeping house when mother is ill’. This topic would usually be chosen by girls bit I was an exception.
Another topic I still remember from my schooldays was ‘the day everything went wrong.’ It allowed me to fantasize and give permission for my imagination to take wings.
Subsequently, when I began writing in Bengali, I would give complete freedom to my imagination to run wild. It was I who would create the characters and put them into tricky situations. It was similar to writing in English – only, I had to think in English and translate in my mind and put them into Bengali. At times I would not get the appropriate word immediately – therefore, at such times, I would write the English word and leave it. Invariably, the Bengali equivalent would pop up into my mind.
Of course, once in a while I would require some external inspiration like a puff or two or a tiny sip from a glass. Such inspirational inputs were not unusual for those who have been afflicted by the writing bug. (to be continued ..)

Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist

My Boss wanted me to become a detective

My job interview over a cup of coffee

Train travel to and from Kanpur to Kolkata

I gamble away my month’s earnings before Diwali

I finally join the MiG factory in HAL Nashik

No comments:

Post a Comment