Sunday, November 23, 2014

I take my first step to move out from Kolkata to Kanpur


Handling the souvenir for Founder’s Day was fun and I did it in 1962 and 1963 but, gradually, I was losing interest in the field that I had chosen. I had only myself to blame and my father would have been sad if I told him that job guarantee in this field was just not there.
Getting a job would depend purely on luck and I did not seem to have the blessings of Lady Luck. Otherwise, why was I not able to sit for my AME License exams?
I had submitted my application in time and also paid the requisite fees. But – the admit card was not arriving. Finally, in disgust, I left home for ATTI on the day of the exams but did not go there – instead I just wandered here and there and returned home late at night. And, imagine my surprise when I saw an envelope with my name on it lying on the table. It contained my admit card for the AME exams and had arrived that morning after I had left.
I cursed my luck and, mentally, decided to look around for some sort of job opening – if necessary I would change my tracks and go into some other stream of engineering.
That is when I chanced upon an advisement in the daily papers about Trainee Supervisor in a firm called Aircraft Manufacturing Depot based in Kanpur and they would pay a stipend of Rs 125 per month for the one-year training period. The requirement was for diploma holders in engineering and I somehow felt that this was an opportunity that I should not miss. Hence, I sent an application by post and took my first step to move out of Kolkata. (to be continued …)

No comments:

Post a Comment