Friday, September 12, 2014

School days - A Principal with a cane


I have lived a full life and now, as I stand on the threshold of 70, I love to go back in time and stir up memories to ensure that my faculties are in order because memories are a part of one’s existence.
When I travel down memory lane (wonder why no one calls it the memory road!!), I pause to think of what I had done right and where I had erred. Right from my toddler days, I had interacted with various people and all of them have left some sort on impression on my life. This is what usually happens to all of us and these tiny happenings shape our future.
Like the Principal of my school in Kolkata – it was St Joseph’s College, Bowbazar Street,Kolkata.
And the Principal was Rev Br P C Hart. His message to us, his students, was ‘what is worth doing is worth doing well.’And - I have followed that without any problem and have no regrets.
He used to roam down the corridors of the school and he always carried a long cane with him – but, he never used it. It was, like his long flowing white gown, an integral part of his attire. Like all other teachers of the Christian Brothers fraternity, he lived on the campus – their living quarters was on the third floor of the school. (to be continued).
Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities through the eyes of a 70-year-old

No comments:

Post a Comment