Monday, November 24, 2014

I get an interview from AMD Kanpur


When I returned home from my ATTI classes via some cinema, I was in for a surprise – my father had already arrived and was sipping his evening cup of tea when I entered. I sensed something wrong the minute I set my foot in the drawing room - father had a serious look on his face and mother also appeared off mood.
Father pointed to the side table and I saw an envelope on it, the flap was open. I picked it up and extracted the single sheet of paper from within. It was my interview letter for Trainee Supervisor in AMD Kanpur. In it was the mention of the stipend and also a caution that, if selected, I would have to join immediately and should come prepared.
Father looked at me with a question in his eyes and I stammered out an explanation. I told him that the future in the chosen stream did not appear to be as bright as I had expected and, therefore, I wanted to make a change in my career – I wanted to go into aircraft manufacturing instead of aircraft maintenance.
Father accepted my line of thought and, since there was a branch of his office in Kanpur, he arranged to make a trip there for himself and accompany me to the new place. He was afraid because I had never ventured out of Kolkata till then.
And so the time came to pass when I took my first tentative steps to enter an unknown alien world far away from my family and close friends. I had to leave the associations of my childhood and the formative years and prepare to face challenges in a new place and fend for myself in a new environment, much like a newly married girl. (to be continued ..)

No comments:

Post a Comment