Monday, May 1, 2017

We played contract bridge together


Here is the fourth unforgettable character in my life …

He was my partner in contract bridge and we played contract bridge together. We had developed our very own bidding system that we tabled in one of the National championships held in Nashik in 1981. We were no match for veterans who had come from Mumbai, Pune, Sholapur and distant locations but it was an experience that we cherish even today.
My bridge partner and I had an understanding – that is important in these games. One must have the minimum number of accumulated points based on the cards he held and depending on the vulnerability he had to take decisions that could tilt the balance in his favor. Bidding was one part of the game; the actual play was the other. Sometimes I would be over enthusiastic and bid for a game that could never be made – my partner would blow his top if the game was played in the confines of my or of his drawing room.
But, in public when we played in our Officers’ Association or in other forums, he would stare at me as if he could burn me to ashes. Since I was weak at hand play, I would invariably try to settle for game in the suit he bid – but, when I had to open the bidding and when the game came to my hand, I dreaded the consequences. In spite of these drawbacks, we did manage to bag a few awards.
Today he is a retired person like me. He has two sons – both settled abroad. My friend and I stay in different parts of the city and meet only when there is an invitation to marriage. The clubs like Mitra Vihar, where we once played, have acquired a modern look; the Meher hotel has been demolished and a huge shopping center has come up in its place. Our bridge days are over but not forgotten.


Image courtesy wikimediacommons.org

Barack Obama enters the league of top US Presidents with ranking of 12

Public tours of the White House will begin again from March 7

Explosion in French nuclear power plant in a non-nuclear zone


Didi caught in the whirlpool of industries (satire)

Moody’s love hate relationship with the raincoat (satire)

The curse of social media – cold blooded murders committed


Mumbai will get to see Justin Bieber in action on May 10

Kangana Ranaut is 'fearless Julia' in Rangoon

Shakti Kapoor holds his audience spellbound in the Khandagiri Yatra


ISIS carries out car bombing in Baghdad - kills at least 55

Suicide bomb attack kills at least 72 in a Sufi shrine in Pakistan

Mayor of London worried about ISIS attacks on the city

No comments:

Post a Comment