Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Insider view of the world of Bengali magazines


While Mashik Romancho was handled by a single individual who had people around him to carry out the numerous activities associated with the publication of a monthly magazine, the setup in Mashik Rahasya was totally different.
It was more or less a one man show – there was a man who did the type setting but, the editor himself was the proof reader. He was a middle aged bachelor and cooked his own meals.
I first met him when I located the office of the magazine – it was a single room on the main road and opposite the Scottish Church College. The clanging of trams and they trudged along the road and the smoke belched out by the buses kept the atmosphere polluted. And, in the midst of it all, the editor would be seen either poring over some manuscripts or busy correcting first-off prints in the role of a proof reader.
When I introduced myself, he was happy. He was familiar with my writings and now it was time to take the familiarity to the next level. He invited me to his home for lunch. Since I had no other work planned, I agreed and we walked down lanes and by-lanes to reach his house. The location was in north Kolkata and narrow lanes and by-lanes gave it a distinctive look.
I was surprised when he took a key from his pocket and opened the lock – it was then that I realized that he lived alone. Later I came to know that he was a bachelor.
Anyway, he offered me a seat on the only wooden chair in the room and then lit the kerosene stove and cooked up a meal of sorts. Finding the door open, his pet cat entered, looked at me and then curled up in a corner of the room – it was its lunch time. (to be continued …)


Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist

Links to some more interesting stories –


Nashik Kumbhmela 2015 – a once in 12-years pilgrimage

Trip to Nashik should take in Shirdi and the Ajanta and Ellora caves

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the epic Ramayana

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the Mahabharata
Kumbhmela 2015 in Nashik – guided tours to wineries and vineyards

First Russian woman cosmonaut returns to Earth after six-month stay in ISS


My Boss wanted me to become a detective


My job interview over a cup of coffee


Train travel to and from Kanpur to Kolkata


I gamble away my month’s earnings before Diwali


I finally join the MiG factory in HAL Nashik

No comments:

Post a Comment