Friday, October 24, 2014

Growing up – the charm of English movies


Going to college was all about growing up, facing new challenges and meeting new people. These were the stepping stones to gain new experience that helps one to gain confidence to step forward in the world. Some of the people one meets would turn out to be good company, others would be those one would not like to touch with a ten-foot pole.
Anyway, to me, it were the English movies that changed my outlook on life and gave me an insight into how the world moves – not a world of superstitious beliefs but a world that is practical, that does not hesitate to call a spade a spade.
Most of the movie halls had three daily shows – 3pm, 6pm and 9pm. The 3pm or matinee show was my most preferred slot because attending that show would mean I would be home in time and would not need to explain any delay to my mother.
Therefore, I would select such days of the week when my classes would end by 2pm and would give me enough time to walk down Free School Street and end up in the New Market (Hogg Market) area which was home to all the cinema halls that showed English movies. (to be continued ..)

No comments:

Post a Comment