Sunday, August 14, 2022

Independence of India – I was there on that day

Yes, I was present on 15th of August 1947. It was the Independence Day of India and I was a three-year old child at the time. On this, the 75th Independence Day, I still remember how people enjoyed the occasion. At that time, I stayed with my parents and younger brother in Belgachhia. It was in North Calcutta and my father owned a lorry. He with two of his friends had a business of sorts. They used to transport coal from the coalfields and distribute them to the local dealers. They had a very trusted driver who was a Muslim and played a crucial role. It was a period of unrest with riots between the two communities prior to the partition of Bengal. The driver would ensure that the lorry with my father and his friends would move out safely through sensitive spots. He carried a change of clothes in the lorry and the occupants wore them, as necessary, to avoid any local problems. These are what my father told me much later when I could understand the intricacies.



Anyway – to come back to details of 15th of August 1947. It was raining and I was in the lorry. It was crowded and my parents were there as were the families of his partners. There were many others and the, lorry was crowded as were the roads. They were jam packed with people who carried the Indian flag and shouted slogans of Bharat Mata ki jai. There were also lines of vehicles and all of them were moving at a snail’s pace in one direction. All of them wanted to see the huge statue of Bharat Mata that a shop in College Street had put up. The shop was a landmark. It sold readymade clothes and the statue was enclosed in a glass case on the first floor and visible from the road. It was still there in the 1960s when I used to travel to my school in Bowbazar Street and college in Park Street. I do not know if it is still there.



Some popular stories in this and related sites –

Sister of Kim Jong-un reveals her brother had ‘fever’ during the Covid pandemic

Accident in Legoland Park in Germany leaves at least 34 people injured

Taiwan readies its army to counter military exercises by China

Prince William to visit Boston for second annual Earthshot Prize

Floods in Seoul take lives, paralyzes the city – another instance of climate crisis

Assets and properties of 19 TMC leaders including some ministers under scanner

Bali converts Boeing aircraft to tourist destination and Singapore Airlines converted Airbus into restaurant

Pomp and glamour in Durga Puja in Bengal

Preparations for Durga Puja 2022

Nancy Pelosi visits South Korea after Taiwan during her Asian tour

No comments:

Post a Comment