Saturday, April 4, 2015

A boss who went out of his way to get me promoted


I had joined HAL Nashik when I was 23-year-old and my whole life was spent in this single organization. But, I never got bored because whenever I felt boredom creeping up on me, I managed to get a change of scenario.
I had joined in the aircraft manufacturing section but, subsequent to a tiff with my boss, I was transferred to the overhaul department.
From manufacturing new aircraft, I went into repairing of old aircraft. And – with this change I landed up in a setup that was ruled by Air Force personnel. The boss was a Sardarji and, he was so impressed with my work that he gave me two promotions within a span of two years!!
Armed with the varied experience that I had gained in the overhaul department, I came to Customer Services department. Here I was rewarded by another promotion. I felt that I deserved another one but my boss, the one with the wig, retired and I felt let down. Anyway, the replacement boss arrived. He was a Squadron Leader and a South Indian. We got along well but, when the time came for promotion, I discovered that my name was not in the list of those called for interview.
Since promotion interviews were held once a year, I was disappointed and disheartened. At that time I was staying alone because my wife and child had gone to Kolkata for summer vacations. Therefore, I took my lunch in the canteen and came home. I wanted to be alone because I knew that if I was on duty, I would have to listen to sympathies of my colleagues.
I, therefore, came home, tuned the radio and lay down on the bed with a pack of cigarettes. Suddenly, the bell rang. I presumed it to be the postman and was surprised when I opened the door and saw my boss. In his hand was a file.
He entered, smiled and opened the file for me to see the contents. It contained a note sheet on which the General Manager had signed – it was an order for me to proceed to HAL Koraput for my promotion interview.
My boss had gone out of his way to originate a note sheet and get it signed by all concerned to ensure that I do not lose the chance of promotion – which I finally got. Unfortunately, this boss got transferred and another Air Force officer took over. (to be continued …)


Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist


A few more must reads -

Nashik Kumbhmela 2015 – a once in 12-years pilgrimage

Trip to Nashik should take in Shirdi and the Ajanta and Ellora caves

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the epic Ramayana

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the Mahabharata

Kumbhmela 2015 in Nashik – guided tours to wineries and vineyards

Nashik transforms from a place of pilgrimage to an industrial hub


Teenage girl of Brighton sat on a needle in a bus and is now getting her blood tested for HIV

Stray dogs attend funeral of Mexican woman who fed them

Nationwide ban on cow slaughter on the cards says Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh

Health tips – lose weight without dieting

Auckland girl sweet talks thief to return stolen mobile phone

Anchovies can boost good cholesterol and reduce risk factors of the heart

No comments:

Post a Comment