Monday, March 30, 2015

Pitfalls of Temporary Duty – the Delhi-Bareilly experience


As a member of Customer Services it was but natural that I proceed on Temporary Duty to Air Force locations, sometimes at short notice. It began with my first TD to Air Force bases at Bareilly in UP and Tejpur in Assam. I had got a promotion and, while my immediate boss wanted to retain me in the office, his boss wanted that I go to some Air Force base. And, as luck would have it, one of our Service Engineers was retiring and I was asked to take over the inventory from him. He held charge of two bases – one at Bareilly, the other at Tejpur.
The time was December and it was my first ever TD – I expected to get guidance from the officer who was retiring. But, it turned out that he was not happy with our boss because his request for extension had not been approved. Hence, he bore a grudge against him.
Unfortunately, he was a Bengali, hence, my colleague wanted to vent his anger on me.
Anyway, the journey from Nashik Road to New Delhi was uneventful. We had boarded the Punjab Mail and, in those days, there was a First Class compartment. By manipulating with the TTE, my colleague managed to wrangle a couple of berths for us.
We got down at Faridabad and took a cycle rickshaw to the house of my friend’s son in law – it was terribly cold as it usually is in Delhi in the middle of December. The cyclerickshaw-wallahs had covered themselves in blankets and pedaled without removing the coverings. After a north Indian dinner we retired for the night.
Next morning, he wanted to go to the Air Headquarters – to follow up his request for extension. I tagged along with him and, saw some important landmarks of New Delhi. Then we went to the house of another of his son-in-laws in Delhi for lunch. Our plan was to leave for Bareilly by taking a bus from ISBT - accordingly, I arrived at ISBT by evening but my friend was nowhere to be seen. I rang up his daughter and she said he had already left. I was getting in a panic because one bus was getting ready to leave for Bareilly when I saw him coming. (to be continued …)


Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist


Links to some more interesting stories –


Nashik Kumbhmela 2015 – a once in 12-years pilgrimage

Trip to Nashik should take in Shirdi and the Ajanta and Ellora caves

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the epic Ramayana

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the Mahabharata

Kumbhmela 2015 in Nashik – guided tours to wineries and vineyards

Nashik transforms from a place of pilgrimage to an industrial hub


Nine medical students go to Syria, their families try to bring them back

Health tips – lose weight without dieting


My Boss wanted me to become a detective

Auckland girl sweet talks thief to return stolen mobile phone

Anchovies can boost good cholesterol and reduce risk factors of the heart

No comments:

Post a Comment