Thursday, March 5, 2015

My Boss wanted me to become a detective


Yes, in those initial days in HAL Nashik, my Boss once wanted me to become a detective and investigate an allegation of corruption against one of the officers in the section. It was an extremely sensitive affair and an embarrassment for me to do the work but I was helpless.
The allegation was that the officer was taking bribes from the workers for booking them on overtime – the overtime meant double payment to the worker for the number of hours he does overtime and he was supposed to give a cut of his earnings to the officer.
The allegation had been sent to the General Manager through an anonymous letter and my Boss wanted me to have a look at the handwriting and identify the person who had written it.
Boss opened the drawer, took out the letter and showed it to me. I was totally confused because there were nearly 250 workers and supervisory staff in the section and anyone of them could have written it. Boss saw the confusion on my face and hinted that whoever had written it would not be any worker because it was written in English – the writing was legible and there were no grammatical errors.
The clues were there but many persons would fit the bill. To me it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I told as much to him and he folded the letter and put it back in the drawer.
I came out of his office and heaved a sigh of relief but, I became a marked man because the workers had seen me and there was suspicion on their faces. Why should I spend nearly half an hour in the office of my Boss unless something was brewing?
My Boss’s office was on the upper floor and as I climbed down the stairs, I could feel eyes piercing me from all directions. I just ignored them – I had to survive. (to be continued …)

Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist

No comments:

Post a Comment