Friday, February 13, 2015

I locate two outlets for Tambula in Kolkata


When I returned back to Kolkata after my brief stint in Kanpur, I came to know of two outlets where Tambula was played regularly – one of these was the Airport Club. Needless to say that in Kanpur, I had got hooked to the game and won twice – first time it was Rs 120, the second tune it was Rs 70.
Hence, it was but natural that once in Kolkata, I look around to see if I could continue to enjoy the game where possibilities of laying my hands on some money was always there – provided Lady Luck was on my side.
One of the outlets was the Airport Club.
Here it used to be an evening game held once a week and most of the patrons were employees of the airport or of airlines. Some of them joined at the end of their working hours, while many others came from different parts of the city to enjoy a few hours of playing the game. Women also came and they brought with them snacks that they shared with others.
Apart from the regular prize monies for part games and the full house based on cash collections before every game, there used to be gifts which were an added attraction.
I played in this venue for some months and then discovered a second outlet – it was the Fairweather Club in Kidderpore dock area. The game at this venue began at 10am and went in till evening. But, no one objected if anyone left early. There were no bindings but the attraction here was the easy availability of drinks – because, it was a sailor’s den. Anyway – I somehow did not like this second option and, as long as I stayed in Kolkata, I would patronize the Airport Club. (to be continued ..)

Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist

No comments:

Post a Comment