Sunday, October 12, 2014

Growing up days – I begin to go to the daily market


This was a job that I took up for selfish motives. The motive was to make some easy money on the side to take care of my extra monetary needs. Nothing much but, since I had entered college, it was but natural that my need for money had grown and I had to discover ways and means to bridge the gap.
It was a tough job no doubt because the daily budget earmarked was just two rupees and that was supposed to cover the cost of vegetable and fish needed for our six-member family. Plus bus fare to go to the market and back plus, you guessed it, at least one cigarette.
How I managed to keep aside a few paise everyday was my very own idea – one of these was to take shortcuts to go to the market and avoid the paying of bus fare. I never felt any shame in this because I had not stolen any money, I had only transferred it from the bus account to my pocket account.
The bus fare was eight paise one way and, for comparison, sixty paise was the price of a ticket in any cinema hall in the lower stall. Therefore, in a week I was able to generate finance for at least one ticket to a movie. (to be continued …)

No comments:

Post a Comment