Sunday, May 17, 2015

Venturing into the world of matrimony


The world of matrimony is a very sensitive field and, only the experts can find their way out of the labyrinth. There are pitfalls galore and one has to be careful of selection of a suitable match for either the son or the daughter. In spite of the best of intentions, the alliance may not finally gel – and, then, those who had taken the initiative would have to bear the brunt of the attack and criticism.
Therefore, when the time came for me to find out a suitable match for my son, it was several months of searching the matrimonial ad columns in leading Bengali newspapers. For that, I used to get the paper by post on a monthly basis.
In those days, contacts would be maintained through handwritten letters and the regular task of my wife and me was to minutely go through the ads that appeared on Sundays. I had prepared and kept my son’s bio-data ready and, after a few lines of communication in the form of a brief letter, would attach a copy of the bio-data and post them. In most of the cases, a reply would come and that would be the first step towards forming a permanent relationship.
But, Man is a creature that is difficult to satisfy. The search for a suitable bride for my son was gradually turning out to be a process that was more complicated than I had ever imagined. I was afraid that my search for a stick would see me at the end of the forest without laying my hands on the exact type of stick I had in mind.
Therefore, apart from sending replies to ads of others, my wife and I decided to post an ad in the papers from our side and see what sort of response we get. (to be continued …)

A few more must reads -

Nashik Kumbhmela 2015 – a once in 12-years pilgrimage

Trip to Nashik should take in Shirdi and the Ajanta and Ellora caves

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the epic Ramayana

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the Mahabharata

Kumbhmela 2015 in Nashik – guided tours to wineries and vineyards

Nashik transforms from a place of pilgrimage to an industrial hub


More than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped last year by Boko Haram have vanished

Journey to freedom – 5800 migrants rescued from the Mediterranean

Indonesian smugglers stuff yellow-crested cockatoos into plastic bottles to get past customs

Engineering graduate of Hyderabad goes astray, dies because of links with ISIS

Dozens of corpses found in bamboo cages in Thai human trafficking camp

Quick tour of Delhi by ITDC bus


Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist

Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

No comments:

Post a Comment