Saturday, May 9, 2015

A new destination Korwa gets added


After a couple of trips to Lucknow, I had to proceed to Korwa – there was another unit of HAL in that location and it also was a supplier for Nashik. Hence, I had to maintain a follow-up with them also during my visits to Lucknow. This was because Korwa was about two hours distance from Lucknow and it was possible to go in the morning and return back same night.
Korwa was located in Amethi – the Parliamentary constituency of the late Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi but, the upkeep of the railway station and the development of the village and surrounding areas left a lot to be desired.
Communication was terrible and there used to be a HAL bus at the station and its timing was linked to important trains.
The HAL Korwa unit had been established with a view of developing the region but the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi put a stop to all activities. In fact, as the bus traveled out from the station, one could see many incomplete buildings, and shops.
The first time I went to Korwa, I was in a hurry. I boarded the train from Lucknow at around 10am and reached Amehi at 12 – from there, I took the bus and arrived at the factory by 1.30pm. The officer I was supposed to meet was waiting for me. He had received intimation about my coming. Both of us had lunch in the canteen and then we held a quick conference with other officers, prepared the record of discussions and made a beeline for the station. There was a train to Lucknow at around 6pm and I wanted to avail that.
Well, the first shock I had when I reached Amethi station was electricity failure – there was not a single light on the platform, all shops were in darkness with tiny lamps providing illumination. When a train rolled in, there was a mad rush in the darkness and I somehow managed to enter a compartment and finally reached Lucknow by 9pm. I knew there would not be any dinner left in the Guest House – so, I finished my dinner of rumali roti and kebabs at a wayside shop outside the station. (to be continued …)

A few more must reads -

Nashik Kumbhmela 2015 – a once in 12-years pilgrimage

Trip to Nashik should take in Shirdi and the Ajanta and Ellora caves

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the epic Ramayana

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the Mahabharata

Kumbhmela 2015 in Nashik – guided tours to wineries and vineyards

Nashik transforms from a place of pilgrimage to an industrial hub


More than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped last year by Boko Haram have vanished

Journey to freedom – 5800 migrants rescued from the Mediterranean

Indonesian smugglers stuff yellow-crested cockatoos into plastic bottles to get past customs

Engineering graduate of Hyderabad goes astray, dies because of links with ISIS

Dozens of corpses found in bamboo cages in Thai human trafficking camp

Quick tour of Delhi by ITDC bus


Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist

Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

No comments:

Post a Comment