Sunday, March 22, 2015

My third conquest was Crime magazine


Writing for two magazines on a regular basis was not an easy affair because I had to switch frequencies from one to the other and ensure that my trend of thoughts did not get disturbed. Moreover, none of the magazines paid any honorarium therefore I was always on the lookout for avenues that would pay – as a friend had once told me – I should get money to cover expenses of paper, ink and postage. But – that was a pipe dream.
However, during one of my subsequent trips to Kolkata, I met another editor – he was editor of Crime. This was yet another magazine on the lines of Mashik Romancho and Mashik Rahasya. The only difference was that those who ran Crime were young people and they were in the business to make money. To them, a writer has to deliver what is wanted.
Incidentally, the magazine consisted of a few stories and a full length novel – usually the translation of some popular English novel. I submitted a couple of stories and they were accepted.
It was after a few months that I realized their real game. They would print the magazine on newsprint and, simultaneously, print a book separately on high quality paper. The book would be the novel that had appeared in the magazine with attractive cover photos depicting scantily clad girls and the writer would get an honorarium.
The books would be offloaded in the Wheeler book stalls at railway stations.
I was present at an incident that left me astounded. I had accompanied the editor to Howrah station and he wanted to get a feedback on the demand for the latest book from the stall owner. However, the stall owner did not give a favorable reply – he said the cover photo should be changed to attract the customers.
The editor was not worried. He hailed a taxi and asked the stall owner to put all the unsold copies of the book in the boot. He promised to send them back with new covers!! (to be continued …)


Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist


Links to some more interesting stories –


Nashik Kumbhmela 2015 – a once in 12-years pilgrimage

Trip to Nashik should take in Shirdi and the Ajanta and Ellora caves

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the epic Ramayana

Nashik, a tourist center with links to the Mahabharata

Kumbhmela 2015 in Nashik – guided tours to wineries and vineyards

Nashik transforms from a place of pilgrimage to an industrial hub

Health tips – lose weight without dieting


My Boss wanted me to become a detective


My job interview over a cup of coffee


Train travel to and from Kanpur to Kolkata

No comments:

Post a Comment