Sunday, February 22, 2015

Back in Kolkata, I turn over a new leaf


Even though I came back to Kolkata, it was not for good. Having tasted freedom and interacted with people from different parts of the country, I wanted to explore places outside Bengal. It was the time of Naxalite movement and the political scenario was changing in Bengal. I wanted to fly away.
I knew that my stay in Kolkata would be short-lived because my sights were already on Nashik – it was the place where I would get a chance to work on the aircraft as a whole and, hence, my choice.
However, till I got the job in Nashik, I would have to find some means to ensure that I did not have to beg my parents for pocket money that was necessary for a young man to maintain a decent outlook – therefore, I met my Principal at ATTI. He agreed to retain me for a princely stipend of one hundred rupees per month.
In the late 1960s, it was quite sufficient for my bus fares, occasional tea and cigarettes and, of course, movies. My friends of school and college days had scattered, as did my friends of my locality – we would meet once in a while and exchange news and views. Somehow, all of us kept getting separated and the gap kept widening.
As for me, when I was at home, I took up writing – that too in Bengali.
That must sound strange to many because I am a Bengali and my mother tongue is Bengali – but, since I had my schooling in English medium, I learnt the Bengali alphabets only when I was in Standard VIII. Hence, my knowledge of Bengali was limited to the extent of passing the exams.
But, I was determined to write in Bengali – come what may.
It was indeed a bold decision and I wanted to prove myself in my mother tongue. I kept it a closely guarded secret from my parents and also my friends and brothers. I did not want to be made a laughing stock. Therefore, as a first step, I got hold of a few Bengali magazines to understand what topics sell and I found that it was crime – a subject after my heart. (to be continued …)

Another interesting blog - Citizen Journalist

Another interesting blog - Violence and atrocities

No comments:

Post a Comment