Saturday, November 8, 2014

I take my first steps into the Aviation industry


I have always been impressed by aviation – in 1957, the Russians launched their satellite Sputnik into Space followed by Laika, the Russian dog that was launched into outer space on November 3, 1957 in Sputnik-2.
After completing my I.Sc. (Intermediate Science) exams, I had to go in for some sort of higher studies and, since I had not scored too many marks in my I.Sc. exams, it was a cause of worry to my father. He tried to get me admitted to an engineering stream in Jadavpur University but it was too far away. I lived in North and Jadavpur was way down South. Commuting would be a major problem. It was at that time I saw an ad in the papers about Air Technical Training Institute (ATTI) – it taught aeronautical engineering. I prevailed upon my father to allow me to join this. The Institute was nearer home and the topic would be one close to my heart.
Well – my father agreed and one day we both went to ATTI, met and discussed with the Principal S C Moitra. He was an impressive personality – he stood over six feet tall, had a heavy body and was dressed in saffron. He was one of the few ground engineers who held all possible licenses in categories A, B, C, D and X in civil aviation and was authorized to sign the airworthiness certificate of any aircraft.
His offices were in Mall Road and theory classes were held in Clive House while practical classes were held in the ATTI setup in Calcutta airport. The classes pertained to piston engines and light aircraft like the de-Havilland Tiger Moth and the L-5 Sentinel. (to be continued…)

No comments:

Post a Comment